[solved] RVAL eval order

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Programming Help [solved] RVAL eval order

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Sibly 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Author

jihem

Participant

This code display -5, then 5.
    It seems that RVAL

is evaluated from rigth to left => -10+5 rather than -5+10.
    The first Pop done is the one on rigth (rather than the one on left).
    Is this a choice? With others languages (Lua,C,C#, Java…) the call order is reversed.

Jesse

Participant

I don’t see the problem
    this is what you are doing on the first one:
    >Print(-5+10)
    and the second:
    >Print (10-5)
    and I am getting
    which is correct.

jihem

Participant

I am getting:

Mx2cc version 1.1.02

Finished debugging app.

which is not correct… if RVAL is evaluated from left to right :-/

I agree with you it should be :

Jesse

Participant

That’s weird. I am getting 5 and 5 and I am using 1.1.0.3 which I dowloaded and compiled it from Github from develop section. The about monkey2 in the help says 1.1.02 but mx2cc says 1.1.03.
    Thats on OSX.

jihem

Participant

I’m on Windows 10 and I’m using the monthly build from the patreon download link.
    I’ll download the last version from github and try again.
    Thanks for the reply

jihem

Participant

Same result with Mx2xx 1.1.03…

Mx2cc version 1.1.03
    Finished debugging app.

Have you tried my test ?

Jesse

Participant

Are you sure the last example works as is. I get an illegal use of Generic.. when I try to run it.
    I had to declare the stack as <int> for it to run.

and I do get the correct results:

Attachments:

Jesse

Participant

Ups! I thought you had put the whole code!
    But yea, I get the same results.

TomToad

Participant

The line compiles to

bb_print(bbString((-f0.l_myStack->m_Pop()+f0.l_myStack->m_Pop())));

So it would appear that MinGW is calling the methods in reverse.

This can be a problem as it creates an inconsistency across platforms.  I have confirmed that Android build processes left to right.  Example below prints 5 on Android and -5 on Windows. (Sorry, haven’t figured out yet how to print values on Android without mojo yet)

jihem

Participant

Arg… This seems to be bind to the windows version. I have the same result on another windows PC.
    Maybe a bug ???
    ?

@tomtoad> Yes, you’re right. I understand this is a MingW issue. But this can’t stay as is…
    I found documentation about this problem :
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/949433/why-are-these-constructs-using-undefined-behavior

— / —
    C99 standard are 6.5 Expressions, §2

Between the previous and next sequence point an object shall have its stored value modified at most once by the evaluation of an expression. Furthermore, the prior value shall be read only to determine the value to be stored.

and 6.5.16 Assignment operators, §4:

The order of evaluation of the operands is unspecified. If an attempt is made to modify the result of an assignment operator or to access it after the next sequence point, the behavior is undefined.

Question :
    Should Monkey2 leave us with “undefined behavior” (or manage the call order to have the same result on every OS) ?

Attachments:

Mark Sibly

Keymaster

myStack.Pop()+myStack.Pop()

There is no ‘correct’ order for evaluation here – c++ is free to evaluate args of operators in any order (except for ‘And’, ‘Or’ and ‘?’) so mx2 does this too. Ditto with monkey, perhaps even bmx?

Also be very careful with, eg: Blah( ReadInt(),ReadInt(),ReadInt() ) etc! This is generally the ‘classic’ example of this…

jihem

Participant

Thanks for your help. I will take care to write :

instead of :

This is the first time I got this issue. The others languages I used manage the call from left to right.
    I have learnt a lot today ?

Mark Sibly

Keymaster

Yeah, it’s probably odd if you’ve never encountered it before, but it allows the compiler to make more aggressive optimizations.

For example, there’s an algorithm that can optimally (ie: ‘perfectly’) allocate registers for expression trees simply by going down the ‘busiest’ branch of the tree first, allocating registers as necessary and freeing them after use (I think that’s how it worked…). Blitz3d used something like this from memory.

Simon Armstrong

Participant

Jihem, in C++ your solution would not help and IMHO would be prone to even more varied compilation results with Debug and Release likely to behave differently.

If it works for monkey2 (comma separated stuff ends up semicolon separated in C++) then it should be documented if it is not already.

jihem

Participant

Hi, Simon

I have read this : http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/eval_order
    If I understood correctly (I’m not a native english speaker), I ‘m right :

10) In list-initialization, every value computation and side effect of a given initializer clause is sequenced before every value computation and side effect associated with any initializer clause that follows it in the brace-enclosed comma-separated list of initalizers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.